The Sons of Italy Foundation® is currently accepting donations for the organizations and causes noted here:
The Alzheimer’s Association is the largest national voluntary health organization committed to finding a cure for Alzheimer’s disease and helping those affected directly and indirectly by the disease, which is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States.
The SIF has contributed more than $1 million to the Alzheimer’s Association to date, and has pledged to contributed an additional $1 million. The Alzheimer’s Association is a designated SIF National Charity.
Cooley’s Anemia Foundation
The Cooley’s Anemia Foundation (CAF) serves people affected by the fatal genetic blood disease thalassemia, or Cooley’s anemia, often found in people of Mediterranean descent. Its mission is to advance treatment, enhance the quality of life of patients and educate the medical community, trait carriers and the public about the disease.
The SIF has contributed $2 million to the CAF to date. The Cooley’s Anemia Foundation is a designated SIF National Charity.
Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism
The mission of the Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism is to support families affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder. The Foundation is committed to increasing awareness of the challenges of living with autism and helping families find resources to help address those challenges. The Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation provides individuals with autism and their families an opportunity to improve their quality of life by funding educational, therapeutic, recreational and advocacy programs. The Doug Flutie Jr. Foundation for Autism is a designated SIF National Charity.
Wounded troops’ & veterans’ causes
The Sons of Italy Foundation® (SIF) is taking an increasing role in helping returning wounded servicemen and women and veterans adjust to a new way of life. The SIF’s range of support includes scholarships for wounded warriors, partial funding of events/programs by veterans/military support organizations (such as the Gary Sinise Foundation and an organization that assists troops with airfare costs to return home for the holidays), and hosting veterans and active military at the annual NELA Gala.
Contributions to this fund help the SIF honor these brave men and women who sacrifice for their country.
This national landmark, owned and operated by the Sons of Italy Foundation®, is the former home of Italian inventor Antonio Meucci. He and his friend, famous Italian revolutionary leader Giuseppe Garibaldi, spent time in this home in Staten Island, N.Y. It is the actual place where telephone history was made, where a great friendship thrived and where the vision of Italian unification was formed.
The museum’s operation and variety of programs rely on charitable donations in addition to its modest admission fees.
SIF Scholarship Fund
Each year, the Sons of Italy Foundation® (SIF) holds its merit-based college scholarship competition, the National Leadership Grant Competition, to award scholarships to the nation’s brightest Italian American students.
Some of these scholarships are provided through perpetual funds while others require supplemental funding from, or are completely funded by, the SIF’s general scholarship fund.
One-time and recurring donations are welcome to grow the scholarship fund and enable the SIF to continue this important goal of supporting educational excellence.
Endowed perpetual scholarships or completely funded one-time scholarships are also welcome; please contact the National Office if you wish to make a scholarship gift of this type.
General charity fund
Contributions to the SIF’s general charity fund enable the Sons of Italy Foundation® to apply funds when and where it is needed most.
Sons of Italy Foundation® Philanthropic Efforts & Grant Beneficiaries
This list represents the range of organizations and causes the SIF and OSIA have supported through the years or are currently supporting.
- 9/11 Disaster Relief & Florentine Flood Relief
- Alzheimer’s Association
- American Cancer Society, Coaches vs. Cancer
- The American Foundation for St. George Hospital
- American Fund for Dental Health
- American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS)
- Academic Year in America (AYA)
- American Italian Cancer Foundation
- American Italian Historical Association (AIHA)
- American Red Cross
- Annette Funicello Fund for Neurological Disorders
- Arab American Institute
- Arthritis Foundation
- Assisi Earthquake Relief
- Barbara Sinatra Children’s Center
- Bard College
- Boy Scouts of America
- Boys Town of Italy
- Business Council for International Understanding
- California State University
- Catholic Relief Services (Naples earthquake relief)
- Catholics United
- Cavaliere Ufficiale Aldo Mancusi
- Center for Italian & Italian-American Culture, Inc.
- Center for Migration Studies
- CES Foundation
- Children’s Inn at NIH
- Christopher Columbus Catholic Center
- The College Board
- Commission for Social Justice® (CSJ)
- Concordia Language Villages
- Cooley’s Anemia Foundation
- Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America
- The Daniel Pitino Foundation
- Dante School for Children
- DC Friends of Ireland
- Doctors Without Borders
- Don Orione Home & Madonna Queen National Shrine
- Doug Flutie Jr., Foundation for Autism
- Ethiopian Famine Relief
- FIERI International
- Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Garibaldi-Meucci Museum
- The Gary Sinise Foundation
- Gene Upshaw Memorial Fund
- Hurricane Andrew Relief
- Hoop Dreams Scholarship Fund
- Help Our Military Heroes
- Immigration History Research Center
- In Italiano Language Program
- The Isaac Hayes Foundation
- Italian Americana
- Italian-American Cultural Center
- Italian Flood Relief
- Italian Hospital Society
- Italian Musicale
- Italian Welfare League
- Istituto Italiano di Cultura
- The Joe Andruzzi Foundation
- John Cabot University (JCU)
- The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
- John. D. Calandra Italian American Institute
- L’Aquila Earthquake Relief
- Lombardi Cancer Center at George Washington University Medical Center
- Luke’s Wings
- March of Dimes
- Mentoring and Internships
- Mexican Earthquake Relief
- Michael Bolton Charities
- Multiple Sclerosis
- National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
- National Leadership Grants (SIF’s scholarship program)
- National Policy Association
- National September 11 Memorial & Museum
- National World War II Memorial
- Oklahoma City Bombing
- OSIA National Student Summit
- Penfed Foundation
- Rienzi Foundation for Cochlear Implant Surgery
- Saint Pio Foundation
- Seamen’s Center of Wilmington, N.C.
- Seton Hall University School of Diplomacy and International Relations
- SLE (Lupus) Foundation & Elizabeth Fund
- Special Olympics
- The Statue of Liberty Restoration Project / Ellis Island Foundation (American Immigration Wall of Honor)
- The V Foundation
- U.S. State Department (American Embassy & Villa Taverna in Rome)
- Washington, DC Police Foundation
- Washington Revels
- William J. Clinton Foundation
- Wounded Warrior Project